OLD NEWTON UNDER FIVES
Contact details: 07871 858183
Address: Old Newton Village Hall Church Road, Old Newton IP14 4ED
We are a committee run preschool for ages 2-5 years. We are based in the village hall term time only. Our opening hours are:
Monday 9:00am-12:00pm (Morning) 12:00pm-12:30pm (Lunch club) 12:00pm-3:00pm (Afternoon)
Tuesday 9:00am-12:00pm (Morning) 12.00pm-12.30pm (Lunch club)
Wednesday 9:00am-12:00pm (Morning) 12:00-12:30pm (Lunch club)
Thursday 9:00am-12:00pm (Morning) 12:00pm-12:30pm (Lunch club)
Friday 9:00am-12:00pm (Morning) 12:00pm-12:30pm (Lunch club) 12:00pm-3:00pm (Afternoon)
We have a team of highly qualified staff working within the preschool, our current staff members are:
Hayley Goodchild (Pre-school Manager)
Hayley joined the setting in spring 2010. She has held several roles at the pre-school including play leader. She has had experience working in a local nursery and has also managed an out of school club. Hayley used to attend Old Newton Pre-school as a child and her ambition has always been to work at the setting! Hayley has an NVQ Level 2 in Early Years & Education, NVQ Level 2 in Team Leading and a NVQ Level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development.
Helen Thorby (Deputy Manager)
Helen joined the setting in spring 2016 as a play leader and started the role as Deputy manager in September 2017. Helen has worked in a management position in her previous role. Helen has completed her BA Hons in Child care, Learning and Development (Level 6) and has completed her SENCO qualification.
Katy Graham (Pre-School Assistant and Katy runs Bumps, Babes & Tots)
Katy started in the Summer Term 2015, Katy originally started running the toddler group and is now working as a key member of staff on a Monday and Friday, Katy is due to start her level 3 training in September 2016.
Carley Donovan (Pre-School Assistant)
Carley joined our team in September 2016. Carley has previous experience working with children aged 0-11 years in local nurseries and supervising in another pre-school. Carley has her CACHE Level 2 & 3 in Childcare and Education.
Lauren Wade (Pre-School Assistant)
Lauren joined the setting as a Pre-School assistant and has been with us for several years, Lauren has a level 3 qualification in Early Years. Lauren has great experience in nurseries, preschools and out of school clubs. Lauren will be working a Wednesday morning.
Bank staff: Emma Fielden, Sophie Thrower and Lorraine Beecroft.
The ethos of Old Newton Under Fives is:
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at all times and expect everybody within our settings to share this commitment.
We aim to:
- provide a safe, secure and fun environment in which the children feel happy and contented;
- provide a wide range of resources so that children have the opportunity to fulfil their potential;
- respect all children as individuals;
- forge a strong partnership with parents and carers and welcome them into the setting to work alongside us;
- provide positive and meaningful experiences in a stimulating environment;
- promote healthy living;
- act as good role models, emphasising respect, kindness and equality;
- celebrate the children's achievements;
- be part of our local community.
Pre-school is fun!
The main aim of the Pre-school is to provide an environment that is safe, fun and a stimulating place to learn. The Pre-school is OFSTED approved and inspected. We provide opportunities and activities that are developmentally and age appropriate, following the 0 - 5 Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) guidance.
The EYFS includes seven areas of learning and within these areas are Aspects. These are what the staff use and follow to assess, support and guide your child's education.
Your child's learning journey
Each child will have a learning journey. This document is filled in by your child's key person to describe how your child is developing. We use photographs and observations as a tool to document your child's development. As a parent, you are encouraged to look through your child's learning journey at any time please date, sign and write a comment each time your child's learning journey is taken home or seen by yourselves. Both documents will follow your child to primary school.
Each day your child will bring home a book bag which will contain a book that your child has chosen from our book collection. We encourage you to spend time each week reading your child's chosen book and completing their reading log with a comment.
Children's “WOW” Moments
We encourage you to share your Children's “Wow” moments from home. Some examples of this could be your child has learnt to ride a bike, your child is able to write their name, your child made some cakes when cooking, your child was able to help at home with household chores. We will display these on our “WOW” board and record these in children's learning journeys.
Our Daily Routine
- 9:00am The Pre-School leader will welcome the Children into the setting.
- The Children will self-register using the tree and remove coats etc. and place their book bags on the hook
- 9:05am- The Children are able to free-flow both inside and outside
- 10:30am- Children will have their snack, cutting up fruit and pouring their own drinks.
- 11:00am- The Children are able to free flow making the most of their learning experiences both indoors and outdoors.
- 11:45am- The Children help the grown-ups tidy up both indoors and outdoors.
- 11: 55am- The Children sit on the carpet and an adult will read them a story and practice the days of the week with the Children.
- 12:00pm- The morning session Children go home with their parents/carers and the Children who are staying go and wash their hands ready for lunch club.
- 12:30pm-Some children may go home after lunch club
- 12:35pm- Quiet indoor play- Adult focused activity
- 1:30pm- The Children have the choice to go outside
- 2:45pm- The Children help tidy away
- 2:55pm- The Children sit down and read a story with an adult
- 3:00pm-home time
We provide free flow with three members of staff
Due to the size of the room when there are two members of staff present we have an all in all out routine to ensure children's safety.
The cost is:
2-year-old- £14.00 for a 3 hour session
3 & 4-year old's- £12.50 for a 3 hour session
Please note: We have a late collection fee of £5.00 for every 10 minutes you are late collecting your child.
Fund Raising and the Under Fives Committee
The Pre-school raises funds from the fees it charges and by various fund raising events. We pay for hire of the Village Hall, staff and equipment in this way. Your support at our fund raising events is greatly appreciated. If you have any ideas for a fund raising event then please contact a committee member. The Committee is involved in the management of the Pre-school. Being a committee member enables the Pre-School to run and raise much needed funds. Our preschool has been around for thirty years continuously run by parents of the children. It has a strong bond with the primary school and really helps children in their transition between Pre-school and school.
Our Committee Members from October 2017 are:
- Chairperson Kerry Baker
- Treasurer Victoria Daynes-Smith
- Secretary Suzanne Duncan
- Other committee members: Katy Graham, Liam Mackenzie and Hayley Goodchild.
We have a separate Fundraising Committee. These are informal meetings where anyone can come to help and give ideas. Details on these meetings can be found on our notice board in the entrance hall of the village hall.
Rising Fives/ Transition to Old Newton Primary School
Children due to start School in September will be invited into School with the other Pre-School Children; a staff member from Pre-School will meet the Children at School and stay with the Children throughout the session.
The Teacher and Children who already attend will help them with their introduction to the school environment. We work closely with the Reception class teacher to make every effort to ensure the transition from Pre-school to Primary School.
As well as preschool we also run a Bumps, Babes & Tots group on a wednesday morning 10am-12noon at Old Newton Sports & Social club. This group is designed for expectant families, newborns and toddlers up to the age of 3 years. Check us out on Facebook for more information about what we do!